Water jet cutting is one of the modern ways you can cut metal today, and accomplish the task with ease and great precision. The hack saw can be used to cut metals too, but it is quite crude to use. As for the other methods available, they are rather more technical and complicated to use and this includes the plasma and laser cutting tools. However, much like everything else, all these methods have their fair share of downsides, too.
These drawbacks can range from rough and messy edges to heat causing deformities. Aside from which, the capabilities of these cutting methods are confined to just a few types of metals. This is where you can see the waterjet cutting technology come into picture.
What Is Waterjet Cutting?
Waterjet cutting is a metal cutting/refining technology that makes use of a jet stream of high pressure water. The pressure here is so intense and powerful that it can actually cut through a variety of materials, it is particularly good in cutting metals sans generation of heat due to friction.
The underlying principle behind this cutting-edge technology is found in nature. Extreme erosion on soil can create cavities and caverns. With the inclusion of abrasive particles in waterjet stream, the process of cutting through an object become a thousand times faster.
- Environmentalists and pro-environment groups favor the use of waterjet cutters because it does not involve the creation of noxious chemicals or won’t have any hazardous waste as by-product. Aside from which it also promotes the recyclability of scrap metal.
- A powerful cutting tool, it cuts through almost anything. In comparison to other traditional cutting tools we are accustomed to use, a waterjet cutter will help you accomplish any kind of cutting task you have. A water jet can help you cut through even the toughest of materials we have around, including stone, metal, or a bullet-proof glass. It can even cut through an uneven or reflective surfaces with great ease.
- Water jet cutting technology does not produce heat, there is absolutely none when it is in action. Hence, it’s very nature will eliminate this issue which is very common hurdle in other alternative cutting methods. The absence of heat in the cutting process leaves your materials uncompromised and, thus, the integrity stays intact.
- High level of accuracy. If you have not witnessed how accurate water jet cutters are, they can actually cut an object at 0.13 mm accuracy.You can even take advantage of it for your projects that require you to have intricate details or for 3D shapes, too.
- While it is a commendable attribute of a water jet cutter to cut through almost every imaginable tough object there is, often the amount of time it takes to cut through an object takes longer compared to a traditional cutter. This signifies that the longer cutting time you have to accomplish a task, the less output you will have for the day. Definitely, it is not beneficial to your business.
- Orifice failure. The natural tendency of a shoddy waterjet orifice is to break down for no apparent reason. If this happens, it will just disrupt your cutting project. Eventually, you will realize that you have just lost productivity and time.
- Starting costs. For startup companies with limited amount of financial resource, finding and putting into action additional abrasive materials such as granite, in an effort to increase the level of efficacy of the water jet cutter will naturally command a higher amount of expense as opposed to a simple plasma cutter.
With all these great benefits your business can take advantage of from a water jet cutting machine, we should not be surprised why it is now the most preferred cutting method across all industries in the business sector. Indeed, water jet cutting service can provide to you the best solution when you can’t settle for anything less.